The Village in the Woods
Above: 50th Anniversary of the Ryderwood Post Office which is still in service today. This award is posted inside the Post Office.
Above: Senior Estates letterhead; Second: Col. Wm. F. Brandt and his wife, Grace, standing in front of Superintendent's House, 215 Jackson.
Examples of before and after renovations of the old homes, 1953. Click to enlarge. Courtesy of the Cowlitz Historical Museum.
Unless otherwise noted, all photos on this page from the RHP private collection.
Left: Retirees built a 6-acre Lake that was dedicated by the Governor on 6-26-1955. Click blue button to read entire article. Middle: title and date are self-explanatory , it also mentions the acquisition of the old school building; Right: An article dated only 1960 mentions not only the Church but a "hardwood dance floor" in the Social Hall. This likely refers to the installation of the former school gymnasium floor in the Community Hall Auditorium. All clippings appear to be from the Longview Daily News.
Ryderwood History Project
303 Morse St.; P. O. Box 114; Ryderwood, WA 98581
Senior Estates in the news! The top left and bottom photos are from a Collier's magazine multi-page spread dated 1-8-1954 . The TIME magazine article appeared in the Real Estate section (not front page) of the 5-4-1953 issue. Note: There is no evidence that the health clinic or small factory mentioned in the TIME article ever existed.
Senior Estates and Beyond